Monday, November 26, 2012

Day Ten: The Holy Spirit - our Guide


Day Ten 

Disclaimer: I would like to say that I am not in any way a pastor or a saint. The Holy Spirit comes to those who seek Him. I am a sinner and daily I am doing or saying things that just aren't Godly but my heart is sincere and I believe that is why God has allowed me to have some of the experiences that I have - that and so that I can share with you a modern view of what God is doing in this simple girl's heart daily. If I am worthy of God's love and attention then so are you! If you haven't experienced this kind of relationship, I urge you to ask for it. Seek Him out. He will honor a pure heart with good intentions.

The Holy Spirit – our Guide

The Holy Spirit has long been my guide. What I mean by that is that I can often times feel His guidance on certain issues. There have been times when I clearly understood the message but chose to ignore what His direction was for whatever reason. Sometimes I wasn’t convinced that it was Him. Other times it just wasn’t convenient or comfortable.  One such time was when I was on a mission team to Eastern Europe. I was especially close with the Holy Spirit at the time and felt a strong urge not to go to a team meeting of the girls one night. I didn’t listen for whatever reason and that night changed the vibe of our group. I could feel the girls take sides with each other that night. The rest of the summer, there was a divide between people because of things that were said that night. I have often wondered why the Holy Spirit warned me about that that night, when He knew I would not listen.

It wasn’t until recently that I realized that God allows some things to happen in our lives, even though He knows we will disobey at the time, so that we can see Him more clearly later. My failure to listen that night has plagued me for years, because it was so clear. The Holy Spirit didn’t leave me but our relationship became strained after that, drifting apart like two lovers that have an unspeakable disagreement between them. I do not think He was angry but more disappointed.  I was disappointed in myself. I have not felt that close to Him since that time.

People often wonder what the Holy Spirit sounds like or how you know that you have heard from Him. I would say that He sounds like your conscience. He is a whisper in your mind about something. A nagging that won’t go away until you make a resolute decision and then it suddenly stops. A good example would be tonight, I wanted to watch TV but I felt the Holy Spirit directing me to do my Bible Study.  Honestly, I just wanted to sit and not think hard on anything. Most of my days and nights are spent studying homework or listening or watching out for our children. Tonight, I am tired. It would be nice to not think about anything but God had some things to share with me and I am so glad that I listened because several experiences are extremely clear to me as to why they were allowed to happen.

{13} But when he, the Spirit of truth, comes, he will guide you into all truth. He will not speak on his own; he will speak only what he hears, and he will tell you what is yet to come. {14} He will bring glory to me by taking from what is mine and making it known to you.  John 16:13-14 NIV

Thank you God for sending Your Holy Spirit to guide us. Please open our hearts and our minds to You and Your guidance. Allow us to be open to listening for the Holy Spirit. Help us to refocus our priorities on You. Help us to clear out the clutter and focus on You. Speak to us in a real way that is undeniable. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment