Friday, November 16, 2012

Day Eight: Living on Base


Day Eight

Living on Base

In nearly 10 years, we have never lived on base. We have tried to keep our personal and private lives separate. Our last base was in the mountains about 30 minutes from anything. If you wanted milk, you had to either pay three times the going rate in town at the little convience store or drive 30 minutes to the small town grocery store.  This time, we decided we wanted to try living on post since my husband only has a few more years in the military. After all, it is Hawaii and our home is almost on the beach. 

Today, a sad thing happened just down the street from our house. A little girl around 3 years old was almost abducted, ON OUR BASE. Thank God she is okay. I cannot imagine if my daughter was playing outside and then all of a sudden, she was gone. Snatched away from me in an instant by someone with sinister motives. This is not the first such instance this year in military housing communities on our island but it is the first that I have heard of on our base. After that, I held my 4 year old a little closer and hugged my almost 2 year old son a little longer.

Safety was another reason for living on base. I felt safer knowing that some random person was less likely to come along and do bad things on base.  As this story illustrates, we are unable to keep out all the bad by simply living in a secured area. Life is the same. Often times we surround ourselves with a “safety zone” of people, events and places that we are willing to operate in and around. I think God wants us to feel safe but to remember that we need to remind ourselves that stepping out of that comfort zone is necessary as well.

Put on the full armor of God, that you may be able to stand firm against the schemes of the devil. For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the powers, against the world forces of this darkness, against the spiritual forces of wickedness in the heavenly places. Therefore, take up the full armor of God, that you may be able to resist in the evil day, and having done everything, to stand firm.”  - Ephesians 6:11-13

Heavenly Father – Thank you for equipping me to withstand evil. Thank you for being my Protector and watching over me and the ones I love. Help me to share this blessing of peace with my family, friends and all those You would have me to meet.

No comments:

Post a Comment