Friday, November 16, 2012

Day Nine: VBS changed MY life


Day Nine

VBS changed MY life

Yes, you read that right, VBS changed my life! Not in the traditional, accepted Christ for the first time sense but in a way that has defined my interactions with my family and my days in general since then.

I have no idea why in the world I volunteered for this year’s Vacation Bible School. I saw the theme was “Sky” and I am a pilot so I filled out a card then didn’t hear anything for 2 months. Just when I thought I was in the clear, a lone email popped up inviting me to an informational meeting. I went to the meeting hoping to be a scene painter or something nominal when I found out I was in charge of making sure 30+ kids made it from place to place for 4 hours, daily, for the entire week. Now, I have two small children at home. I generally do not volunteer to do anything extra with children for any reason, mainly because I drop exhausted into bed every night. I love my children but they have so much more energy than I do. I am tired. I do not want to add to that exhaustion by not only taking care of 30 other children but also having to be energetic and up beat for 4 hours. Dread.

Dread was what I felt everyday leading up to this event that I had gotten myself into. The first day I decided my children and I would walk to the chapel. It was a nice to be out early with the children, walking. We were late but then that was only because parents drop their kids off at 8 AM for an event that begins at 9 AM. “VBS is not just free child care”, I thought to myself. I smiled and tried to be energetic for the children throughout the morning. I went home wishing I could call in sick.

Something odd began happening by the end of the second or third day. I began to take note of the children and care for them. I actually looked forward to coming the next day. The people I volunteered with were nice but it wasn’t that, it was the children. One boys parents were getting divorced and he was an emotional wreck. Another boy was withdrawn to the point of non-participation because his father was deployed. One girl shared about her brother that is in a wheel chair. I cared about these children. I wanted so much to know their real stories. By the end of the week, I was sad for the children to go. I wanted to be a part of their lives. It was nice to know that if only for a moment, I had been a positive spot in their day. I know that because I watched as children who wouldn’t participate the first day, were singing and smiling the last day.

I say that VBS changed my life because from that week on, I have tried to use my time at home with my children wisely. We take more walks. I watch a lot less TV. I listen more. I am trying to get our lives on a schedule that includes fun and responsibility. VBS helped me to see that just like I cared what happened to those complete strangers, God cares what happens to us even more. He cares what happens to our children that we are entrusted with. It is up to us to offer them the best part of ourselves, every day.

Be imitators of God, therefore, as dearly loved children and live a life of love, just as Christ loved us and gave himself up for us as a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God. – Ephesians 5:1-2

Father God, help me to be a good example of You and Your Love to my children. Help me to daily be to be patient, kind, loving and a haven of protection for these beautiful children you have entrusted me with. Thank Father for Your trust with these precious souls. In Jesus Name. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment