Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Day Six: Walk the Walk


Day Six

Walk the walk

I reluctantly joined the Bible Study on base when we got here. I felt like I had grown up in the church and there was little that I could learn from the PWOC ladies at the chapel on base. In fact the title of their first study almost kept me from going. It was about “Walking the Walk”. Growing up in church, I had done at least one study a year on this topic. How many Bible studies can you do on one topic?  I talked about it with my husband and he encouraged me to go, if only to get out of the house. The first day I felt weird. I stood there unconsciously judging each person I saw. There was the over zealous new Christian, the stall wart of the Bible Study group, the perfect Christian and on and on down the list I went, thinking I knew each of these women. Boy was I wrong! It took me a few times but I finally began to see how I was way off. These women were genuine. I was warmly greeted each time. I went from not sharing at all to feeling compelled to share. The first few times I went to give myself time with other adults. Now, I cannot wait for our break period to end so that I can get back into this group of women.

I was heart broken at the last meeting when I realized that most of the women PCSing were the women I had grown so fond of and learned from the most. They were my rock and I didn’t even know it. It’s funny how things like that happen. One moment you are aloof and judgmental the next you are crying because you feel like you are losing the only kindness you have known at your new station. They were the women that I looked up to. I admired. I strived to be like. I know we are to strive to be like Christ but when you have Godly examples in front of you, it does make it easier to “walk the walk”.

"For once you were full of darkness, but now you have light from the Lord. So live as people of light!" – Ephesians 5:8 (NLT)

Thank you God for meeting the needs I do not even realize I have. Thank you for men and women that love you and live it. Help me to be an example to everyone I meet.

No comments:

Post a Comment